Tuesday 10 April 2012

40

 Kate Beckinsale in Pearl Harbor

Last night I watched Pearl Harbor, a film I haven't seen for quite a long while. Asides from being incredibly emotive and also from having some serious eye candy - Josh Hartnett, anyone? - it got me pondering back to the style of the 1940s. If the film is anything to go by, clothes were much more feminine and curve enhancing back then, and its a concept I think I could quite like. I'm not sure how realistic the film is, clothes wise (or story line wise, for that matter), but I've decided to scout around and pick out key items that have a 1940s feel to them.

After some time spent on the internet I've realised that clothes in this style don't come cheap as there's not much on the high street to cater to this look. However, if you've got the cash then there are some beautiful designer options available that will have you looking like the womanliest of women in no time. The main rules are:
Soft fabrics and pale colours always work best - think silk or chiffon in pink or yellow
Pencil skirts and blouses work best for day or work and polka dot prints are super feminine
Red is a must - preferably in lipstick form. The Donna Karen dress (below) is also a total knockout!
Opt for feminine accents with pointed shoes accessoried with bows and prim handbags with metal trims
Check out my four outfit ideas below - day, work, evening and holiday - and let me know if you'll be trying out this retro look.
Until next time see you on twitter and pinterest
From L-R: Topshop Sleeveless Blouse; Acne Pencil Skirt; Tory Burch Polka Dot Blouse; Prabal Gurung Polka Dot Skirt; Carvela Kurt Geiger Bow Heels; Aspinal of London Handbag; KG Kurt Geiger Striped Heels; Donna Karen Red Dress; Anya Hindmarch Clutch bag, Zara Heels, Asos Visor, Ray Ban Sunglasses, Norma Kamali Swimsuit.

1 comment:

  1. I love the figure-hugging fashion back in the 40's.. Makes women look and feel like women.. Very sexy and somewhat flirty :)

    Kisses! xxx

    ilikeyourears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete